Monday, September 17, 2012

The Shoes I Couldn't Fill



For so long my life was haunted
By the shoes I couldn't fill
Of someone I'd never even met
And likely never will
I knew you had loved her very much
But I hoped in time you would move on
I didn't understand your need to cling
To things that are long gone
And I've found it's useless to compete
With your version of the past
You remember only the happiness
And forget why it didn't last
So I had to let you go
I was playing a game I'd never win
The gate around your heart is locked
And you'll never let me in

11 comments:

  1. Nicely written. I like the rhythm :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great poem. I tweeted it again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, Kara, the pain of love. For whatever reason, sometimes the other can't return our love or see the truth of what once was. Or the truth now staring them in the face. A lovely poem.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really feeling the love, pain and sense of loss in this piece. Very well written.It's what I love to read and why i find writing to be such a joy. Honesty is easier in written form sometimes. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it Kara. Thank you for sharing !

    ReplyDelete
  6. it's beautiful Kara.. I could feel the pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice one Kara. I reblogged / posted it on my blog http://janet-generallyspeaking.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-shoes-i-couldnt-fill-by-kara.html

    ReplyDelete